SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS, TOMATO AND CHILLI ( Adapted Neil Perry Recipe from The Food I Love)
I’m know lots of people don’t seem to like mussels very much..or just the idea of them. I know they heave beards and don’t look all that great on their own, but it’s what’s on the inside that counts! :D you really should try them because they are amazing. they’re an excellent source of protein, they’re low in calories and fat, they’re good for memory, contain a crazy amount of vitamins and minerals (they actually have the most amount minerals out of any type of seafood :O), so they’re really good for you as well :) they should make a lovely Mother’s Day lunch.
- 500g of spaghetti
- 1/2 cup (or 125mL) of dry white wine
- 1kg of cleaned mussels (scrubbed and debearded)
- handful of basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper
TOMATO AND CHILLI SAUCE:
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 large chillies, deseeded and chopped (he says 10-12 chillies, so it just depends on how spicy you want it to be, just remember to taste your chillies beforehand)
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup (or 60mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped (you can use canned tomatoes if need be, but fresh tomatoes are always better)
HOW TO DO IT:
- place the garlic, chilli, some sea salt and olive oil in a pan on medium heat. cook until garlic and chilli just start to soften. add the tomato, sauté for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- pour the wine into a large pot over medium heat and then add the mussels. cover and steam the mussels for 5 minutes until most of them are open. remove them from the pan. (if some mussels are still not often after this time, discard them). strain off the mussel juice and reserve it for later. remove the mussels from their shells and discard the shells (or you can keep the shells if they’re cleaned properly, it’s completely up to you).
- return the tomato and garlic sauce to the hear, and add the reserved mussel juice and mussels to the sauce.
- cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water for around 8 minutes, or just follow the instructions from the packet.
- drain the pasta and mix through the mussel and tomato sauce. make sure to check the seasoning and add as much salt and pepper as necessary! add the basil.
- spoon the pasta into four bowls and serve immediately! :)
#spaghetti #mussels #chilli #pasta #neil perry #vanilla #cupcakes #icing #chocolate #croissants #ripailles recipe book #recipe #yummy #nutella #homemade #macarons #pink #french #bacon #pizza #potatoes #bake