CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS (Adapted from Ripailles Traditional French Cuisine by Stephane Reynaud)
this is the recipe I used when I first made croissants because it’s amazing. the whole book is extremely amazing though! the author’s included cute little diagrams and photos and songs! :D anyway, this recipe is a bit fiddly but it’s completely and utterly the bees knees.
MAKES: LOTS (depending on how big you make the triangles)
- plain flour 1kg
- salt 20g
- sugar 150g
- yeast 40g
- water 550mL
- butter 600g (I know! crazy! but it’s so worth it)
- bar of chocolate (dark or milk or whatever you’d like)
- egg yolk for brushing
HOW TO DO IT:
@2 years ago
#chocolate #croissants #ripailles recipe book #recipe #yummy #nutella #homemade #macarons #pink #french #bacon #pizza #potatoes #bake
- knead all of the ingredients, apart from the butter and chocolate, together for 10 minutes to get a nice smooth dough.
- roll the dough into a rectangle shape, place all the butter in the middle and then fold the sides of the dough in to cover the butter
- pop in the fridge for 30 minutes
- take the dough out. roll it into a strip, fold it over itself three times, turn it ninety degrees, roll it out again and fold in three again.
- pop in the fridge for another hour and then do step 4 again.
- roll the dough into a large rectangle and trim off any uneven edges.
- divide the rectangle in two and place the two rectangles on top of each other.
- cut the rectangle into triangles with a 12cm base (or around there) and make a small cut (2cm) in the middle base of each triangle.
- leave at room temperature for 2 hours!
- place a small piece of chocolate in the middle of each triangle and start to roll them up from the base with the incision, making sure the tip of the triangle is the last thing you roll over. be careful not to roll the dough up too tightly though because that’s where the croissants get their flakyness and multi-layeredness!
- brush with the egg yolk and place in an oven for 15 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius! :)
- drizzle with melted chocolate (if you wish :P)
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS, TOMATO AND CHILLI ( Adapted Neil Perry Recipe from The Food I Love)
I’m know lots of people don’t seem to like mussels very much..or just the idea of them. I know they heave beards and don’t look all that great on their own, but it’s what’s on the inside that counts! :D you really should try them because they are amazing. they’re an excellent source of protein, they’re low in calories and fat, they’re good for memory, contain a crazy amount of vitamins and minerals (they actually have the most amount minerals out of any type of seafood :O), so they’re really good for you as well :) they should make a lovely Mother’s Day lunch.
- 500g of spaghetti
- 1/2 cup (or 125mL) of dry white wine
- 1kg of cleaned mussels (scrubbed and debearded)
- handful of basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper
TOMATO AND CHILLI SAUCE:
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 large chillies, deseeded and chopped (he says 10-12 chillies, so it just depends on how spicy you want it to be, just remember to taste your chillies beforehand)
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup (or 60mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped (you can use canned tomatoes if need be, but fresh tomatoes are always better)
HOW TO DO IT:
@2 years ago
#spaghetti #mussels #chilli #pasta #neil perry #vanilla #cupcakes #icing #chocolate #croissants #ripailles recipe book #recipe #yummy #nutella #homemade #macarons #pink #french #bacon #pizza #potatoes #bake
- place the garlic, chilli, some sea salt and olive oil in a pan on medium heat. cook until garlic and chilli just start to soften. add the tomato, sauté for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- pour the wine into a large pot over medium heat and then add the mussels. cover and steam the mussels for 5 minutes until most of them are open. remove them from the pan. (if some mussels are still not often after this time, discard them). strain off the mussel juice and reserve it for later. remove the mussels from their shells and discard the shells (or you can keep the shells if they’re cleaned properly, it’s completely up to you).
- return the tomato and garlic sauce to the hear, and add the reserved mussel juice and mussels to the sauce.
- cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water for around 8 minutes, or just follow the instructions from the packet.
- drain the pasta and mix through the mussel and tomato sauce. make sure to check the seasoning and add as much salt and pepper as necessary! add the basil.
- spoon the pasta into four bowls and serve immediately! :)